Thursday, May 30, 2013

Robbin's retort

Dear Deb,

I can't believe you'd write all the mushy stuff for all to see.

Yes, our first conversation was about who was going to hang my coat. I did interview in two groups and I choose to work with you because I thought you were a cool 40 something year old -- in my naive world, only older women grayed.  But I was smart enough to keep that thought to myself.

We both have done myers-briggs tests.  We don't share any letters.  I do like quiet time and you do do like to be social (introvert/extrovert).  I think things out, you talk them out.  This is definitely a case of opposites attracting.  I must say that I made the exact right choice with you because I'm much more than I'd have been without you.  I've done so much more and met so many more people.  On big things we've got the same inclinations.

Imagine if you were more like me?  We'd never go out, never invite people in.  We'd go to work and come home and listen to the radio and read.  I'm sure I wouldn't be in India right now, wouldn't have a wonderful farm, wouldn't have lived in NJ and worked for Roche, the list goes on and on.

You keep getting mushy on me saying I'm doing a good job taking care of you.  It just isn't that true.  For the basics, yes, but we actually had to hire out to enlarge Team Deb. The lyme has not diminished your capacity for ideas, just the number of hands that can carry them out.  You're still Deb in there.  So our lack of common Myers-Briggs numbers gets in the way - I like to finish one job and then do the next, quietly without too much discussing.  That's what makes me a good picker-upper.  So basically, I still can't keep up with you.

I am also the carrier of hope.  I'm sure you're getting better.  I was sure you were going to get better.  I'm your biggest supporter and fan.  Being here in India, it is all the more easy to know that.  Everybody here fully expects you to get better.  My phrase has always been that when you get better, you're going to cook for me morning, noon and night for a year.  You can get up and make me breakfast and go back to bed.  I'm sure coming out the other side of Lyme, it will be no big deal.  I'm also pretty sure that eventually the night before you'll put out a bowl and a box of cereal and say, there's breakfast.

Maybe I could get mushy, but it would be totally uncomfortable.  Let my actions speak louder than my words.  I'll always be there for you.

Love,
RC

1 comment:

  1. We might be embarrassing our readers! Especially Ryan. xo

    ReplyDelete