Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 29 - A procedure where the sun don't shine!

I was told last week that to help my malabsorption problem I would be given stem cells via my rectum. It was in the back of mind since then, as I'm sure you can imagine.  Well, so there is no more suspense - it was a piece of cake.  Phew!

While I was in morning physio & OT, Geeta stopped by with a crew, but I missed her.  ;-(

My procedure was scheduled for 1:00, but they were late.  As we waited, we had a visit from Lola from Texas.  She arrived a few days ago with her husband who is being treated for Parkinsons.  She had been here 4-5 times with her daughter, now 40, who is a quadriplegic.  I told her she looked 40!  She said it was her dye job.  Lola is a retired Early Development college professor.  She grew up in Ohio.  Her husband, Eddie, still works and will retire next year. They are only here for 2 weeks as that's all the time he could get off from work.  They will be back in February. When they were here with their daughter, Eddie was having issues. Geeta sent him for a thorough work up and diagnosed him. Since they were only here for 2 weeks at that time and 1 week was spent doing tests, he was treated for only one week.  In time he noticed positive changes, so they are back.

Lola told us about some local sites in New Dehli. It was a very nice visit.

Another Lyme patient arrived from the US but we haven't met them yet.  Not sure where they are from, but on Sunday they left at 4:30 am to visit the Taj Mahal which is 4 hours away! 

OK, back to me, me, me. The crew didn't come for me until 2:15.  It was done in the Operating Theatre so I was lifted onto the gurney in my gown and flowing pants.  I was wheeled onto the hot elevator - I believe the sun shines down on it and there's no A/C in that elevator.  

First, they explained the procedure to me - clean the area, insert the catheter, inject the stem cells and flush the catheter with saline, so we don't waste any precious stem cells.  A sister washed the area (10 secs), inserted the catheter (5 secs), injected the stem cells (5 secs) and flushed the area (5 secs).  Oh and yes they removed the catheter!  So it was very quick and painless.

After I was back in the room, I needed to lay flat for 10 mins.  I fell asleep for about an hour.

After I awoke, Ahba reorganized the wooden cabinet, at my direction, to make more room.

Tonight I am watching a very young Jackie Chan in a comedy.  It's funny.

Robbin was under the weather today with a headache and nausea. They gave him a pill but it didn't work.  Then another pill mid afternoon and then we went to see a new doctor who was in for a few hours, named Manoj.  I said "I have a friend by that name at work!"  Manoj put hard pressure on Robbin's neck with his fingers to restrict the blood flow for a bit. Robbin said now his neck hurt!  This continued and Robbin thought he felt better, but when he got back to the room, he did not.  

He was reading for most of the day.  Tonight, the headache has subsided.  :-)

We are in India for 1 month!




No comments:

Post a Comment