Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 25 - More About Ahba


Ahba has so little, but she has so much.  

Ahba lives in a 1 room apartment (bath outside) with her 2 sons. Amid is 19 and Nanu is 15.  She pays 3500-4000 rupees for rent and often does not get water.  Her one room is small, about 8 ft by 8 ft, by her description.  There is a table for homework and eating. She has no fridge or stove.  When I asked her if she had a fridge she replied "after my son's school, I will buy things  - don't worry, I am happy." She pays 5000 rupees a month to send Amid to Cisco networking school.  He has completed 2 years, one more to go.  She found out today that Nanu was first in his class regarding a 10th grade standardized test.  She was beaming with pride as she told us!  She is a true mother, everything for her sons.  Education is extremely important to Ahba. 

Ahba is an excellent caregiver. She is very caring and loving.  In the shower I told her "Ahba, you scrub me like I am dirty!"  We both laughed.

She really cares about me.  I know this for sure as when we went to give her money (weekly salary), she asked "For what?"  For working!  She is so wrapped up in me that she forgets that she is working.  She only wants me to get well.  I tried several times to send her home early on Friday as Nanu had a 102 degree fever.  She was worried about him but would not leave.

Ahba has worked at NuTech for 7 1/2 years, as needed.  If they don't call her, she does not work. She told me I am different from other patients that she's cared for.  I do not know how but she says I have a good heart.  She does too.  It takes one to know one, right?

Ahba has a strong faith from her upbringing with Mother Teresa. When she talks about God she says "My Jesus" (emphasis on "My"), eyes beaming, a smile on her face - hugging herself.  She travels 40 mins by bus with her sons to go to church on Sundays.  She absolutely loves being there.  It is not an obligation as it is for some.  During the day when I rest, Ahba reads a paperback entitled "Bible Promises For You."  A former patient bought it for her. I asked her once if she sleeps during the 2 hr bus ride home.  She says "No, I pray."  

Ahba has so little, but she has so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment