Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Robbin's Exciting Day

My travel guitar busted a string.  A ball ended nylon string.  The trip to the mall on Saturday was(for me) to get a new set, which they didn't have.  I spent Sunday googling New Delhi guitar stores and sent out emails.

Yesterday we had a meeting with Dr Shroff and I didn't want to be out and about when she called, which wasn't at a definite time.  So I went today.

I got a metro card (you make a 50 rupee deposit which is paid back along with unused balance when you return the card) and put 50 rupees on it (about a buck).  I got on the right train and made a transfer.  It was very civilized.  Not too crowded and air conditioned.  No NY subway smells.  And totally unlike the traffic above ground.

I got off and figured which direction I needed to walk.  Each pillar that holds up the metro tracks (the metro switched at some point from subway to elevated) is numbered.  I started at 197 and I needed 225.  Once I figured in which way the numbers went up, it was a simple matter to find the store.  Along the way an auto rickshaw (tuk tuk) driver, Vijay, stopped me to chat.  He wanted to drive me and I wanted to walk, but he is a talkative fellow.  I said I needed to get moving and he decided to leave his tuk tuk by the side of the road and guide me.  Telling me the wonderful sights he could show me.  I sort of blew him off, but politely.  I was a little worried I was being taken for a rube.

I got to the store and it turns out Vijay was the only multilingual person in the guitar store and he helped me get my point across.  I got my strings and then wanted to see what a harmonium is all about.  It is basically an accordion on a table which the bellows on the back, keys and stops in the front.  A very cool little item, but not for me.

While watching the salesman demonstrate, I got a bit dizzy.  Then I woke up on my hands and knees on the floor.  I'd fainted.  Vijay was very concerned and wanted to know if I was all right, but not realizing I was dizzy or had fainted, I didn't give them all a proper answer.   The store owner sent out for a pepsi.  What magic that brought I'm not sure other than if I was suffering from low blood sugar, then that would give me a boost.  And the magic of getting something cold in me that wasn't tap water (which is warm and filled with things my body never saw in it's life).  I suspect it was heat/dehydration that I had.  It is like 105 in the shade and I had walked about a half a mile without a drink.

The owner had me sit in front of the air conditioner, the son brought me a pepsi and I started to come around.  Vijay fetched his tuk tuk and said he'd take care of me.  Again, I wondered what that meant, but it did mean I wouldn't be alone if I suffered a similar bout.  So Vijay took me to 2 tourist traps selling priceless Indian artifacts and memorabilia. They were air conditioned tourist traps.  With very high pressure sales people.  I was shown carpets, jewelery, paintings, cloth (they wanted to make me an outfit), carved wood and ornamental metal.  Little did they know I was simply enjoying the cool temperature getting my system back to normal.

Vijay took me all the way back to the hospital where we are living.  Vijay is my pal especially since I gave him a nice tip.  He made sure I had his phone number for any other tuk tuk trips I may need.

I have been told by everybody who heard the story to bring my water.  So, dear readers, please say that to yourself, out loud if you like, and do not add to the chorus by leaving a like minded comment.  So far, once properly cooled and hydrated, I'm just fine.

1 comment: