Sunday, May 12, 2013

Little Differences

I'm back from the somewhat dead.  I needed antibiotics to get better, so I am taking them and although a tad weak, I'm on the mend.

If you eat a grapefruit the way I do, you cut it in half along its equator and scoop out the sections with a spoon.  A little sugar helps.  A few times I cut the grapefruit from it's north pole to the south.  It isn't that easy to eat this way.  Meat is cut like the second way.  I find chicken bones in my dish that I never had before.  Somehow the way the cooks cut food is different and unfamiliar here and not that easy to eat when it is covered with sauce and you can't tell bone from meat.

Light switches go off when they go up and on when they go down.  It's a good thing I have 3 way switches so my finger's muscle memory isn't totally at odds with what my eyes see.

I mentioned earlier that the traffic seems to work even though they take chances.  I've been looking closer and find that nearly every vehicle, especially buses, has a few of these long dents and scratches where they don't quite make it by the other guy:

so now I think they are all taking chances just by driving.

The administrator of the facility we're in has a driver.  She gets chauffeured around in a Toyota Camery.  Compared to the other little cars around, this one does look big and a little like a limo.

Remember the tuk-tuk?  Here is one:
it holds 1 to 10 people, depending on how packed in they are.  It's like stuffing a Volkswagen Beatle.  There's a handle under this driver's left leg.  To start it, you pull it up and it spins the engine until it starts.  It's like pulling the rope on a lawn mower, except it is a lever, but the motor doesn't sound much larger.  I saw (heard?) one with giant speakers behind the back seat going down the road blasting.


Here's a picture of a bicycle built for 2:
if the second person can deal with a tiny seat and is careful not to get their feet caught in the spokes.  I suppose it is for a child, but I wouldn't be surprised to see two adults on this bike.

One popular street food is popcorn.  Guys have a bicycle with dual wheels on the back, a bed between the seat and back wheels with a big mound of unpopped kernels and a white gas burner with a wok over it.  They throw some kernels in and put a screen over it to trap the popped corn.  Guys come up and take a handful and shoot the breeze and (I guess) if it is good, they get a bag of it.  I'm not sure if this is the vendor with the good gossip, but the transaction never seems to go quickly.

Yesterday I saw out and did a partial fret job on a guitar.  It was something to look at and got some people stopping by to watch.  I hope to get a few essential tools and do some more.

Finally it is Sunday night and the market is hopping.  Many, many more people are out than during the day or during the week.  I was surprised to see at 8pm the stores all open and doing a brisk business.  I think the 6 day work week means Sunday is shopping day and with the daytime heat above 100f, evening is prime shopping time.

Good Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment