Thursday, May 2, 2013

New Delhi Traffic

Traffic is different.  All cars, motorcycles, buses, bicycles, etc beep.  It is like frogs croking.  Beep - I'm here.  Beep - see me?  Beep - I'm coming through.  Beep, beep, beep.

Any vehicle can carry a load.  I've seen bicycles with trailers carrying away crushed rocks from a construction site, a 3 wheel dump truck (think of a motorcycle with 2 wheels on the back and a dump box between the driver and the back, loaded 150% of the way.  How about the guy on a bicycle with about 30 PVC pipes each 20 feet long bound to the center of the bike frame.  I don't know how he got his legs around the pipes to reach the peddles.  Or the other guy that was carrying so much in his trailer he couldn't use the peddles - he pushed the handles and his buddy pushed the back of the trailer. 

Today a bus driving the opposite direction cut in front of our 2 opposing lanes of traffic moving along at 30 mph to pull into a driveway.  Just like that, he knew everybody would stop and being a bus, he gets priority.  A sure recipe for a crash in NJ.

The basis for the dump truck is an autorickshaw.  These are the cheap taxis.  It's a 3 wheel motorcycle.  Behind the driver is a bench and the whole thing has a roof over it and bars to prevent the person on the left side from falling out.  I guess the right side person has to hang on.  They roar along cutting in traffic I wouldn't dare do if everybody else was stopped and I inched along.  This is happening in real time and at 20-30 mph.

We're going to a mall on Sunday - I brought my travel guitar and a string broke.  We'll hire a cab to bring us there and wait.  We get 4 hours of his time for $7.42.  Should be interesting.  I was planning on taking an autorickshaw for $1 or $2 and going in and out.  Going to the mall piqued Deb's interest, so we'll probably get our money's worth from the cab.  The place will give us a wheel chair so I'll push her all around and save her energy for shopping.

I didn't have a camera to document these feats of engineering, but they will be here soon.  No worries about my descriptions being one-offs - these are all quite common.

1 comment:

  1. Robbin - Those bars on the left side of autorickshaw is to prevent people getting out into traffic. People has to get only from right side which is curb side.

    Driving in India is pretty crazy and difficult. It is mostly with ears than eyes. Bigger the vehicle, got highest right of way which means Pedestrian least right of way.

    ReplyDelete