Friday, May 24, 2013

Day 23 - More About PT

As you know I have two 30 min PT sessions (10:00 and 1:30). It is always a race to be on time, I'm slow. Yes, "The Deb" who did everything fast for her entire life, is now a slow talker, eater, walker, etc.  It took a major crippling to slow me down!  Sad, but true.

Varun stretches my legs, ankles, toes, etc in many different directions, while I am passive.  We usually chat about things; each curious about the other.  We talk about music, sports, work, family and more.  He will marry in October.  He is 29.

After stretches, he has me bend my ankles up and down while I am on my back. Then leg lifts, up & down 10 times. Then legs out to the sides for 10. Ok, most things are 10, some 12.  Then he holds one leg at a time, up at the foot & knee and I go back & forth. Then he places a grip under my knee and I go up & down. Then with both legs bent at the knee, I lift my bottom.  Then we switch to arms. I bend each wrist with some resistance on Varun's part. Then he grasps one hand and I twist back & forth.  My right hand is very weak, so he adds no resistance.  Then an assortment of arm bends and pulls both out & up. About 5 different combinations.

Then with both knees bent he presses them from side to side as I move my head in the opposite direction.  Now he helps me to sit up.  I move my head back and forward; then side to side sometimes holding a ball.  Then we hold hands as he guides my arms front and back.

Varun has increased my PT load a tiny bit this weak, adding more resistance and new exercises for stomach (because I asked) and back. Also some additional legs movements.

All the while, a young boy, Faizon, wails as his physio therapists try to help him. His mom is right there singing to him and holding him close.  It pains me to hear him, because he is so young.  He has cerebral palsy.  Geeta has a decent track record with CP so the family is hopeful. Faizon's grandma is there daily and sometimes her son, Faizon's dad.  The grandma and I chat daily as I wait for 15 minutes for OT to start.  She is very warm &friendly.  Ahba translates if my speech is unclear.

Afternoon PT is more active. Leg lifts with a machine and a 1 lb weight.  I grasp a pulley with 2 hands as I try to pull each arm up in turn.  Then over to bars on the wall where I balance on each leg as I lift the other one. Also each leg to the side for 10.  Knee bends too - all while holding on.  Then up some shallow steps with hand rails and back down. Finally, I walk around the room with my trusted walker and then sit and chat with grandma for 15 mins.

I recently switched the am and pm routine as I am tired in the afternoon. Varun's is accommodating.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment