Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 24 - Friday Procedure, a rough day


I had a different procedure on Friday. It was the 3 day catheter one, but this time the catheter is higher up my spine.  The spine MRI showed 2 disc problems so I think this is one of those locations as Geeta had mentioned she would inject stem cells there; I will ask. I'm not sure the discomfort is worth it.

The procedure started with the anesthesia injection which caused some pain. After a 3-4 min wait, he began and I felt pressure.  When the doctor was putting in the catheter I felt discomfort in my left leg. I think it is near a nerve. He said "You know, I'm going in blind." Yes, I knew and did not want to be reminded!  "Please don't tell me how thick or how deep it is" I thought to myself.

After that, it was time for my PICC line.  I've had 2 before.  In Morristown Memorial Hospital (NJ) they strap my arm to a wooden or steel board.  Here, a sister held my arm in place - squeezing hard so the doctor could find my vein. 

In the US, there is a TV monitor overhead so the doctor can see when they are close to the heart. No such thing here.

In the US, both PICC lines were put in above my elbow on the inside of my arm.  Here, it is about an inch below my elbow. 

In the US, the end of the PICC, the part that sticks out is a small 1 inch unit that one can screw things on to.  

Here, that unit is a larger and more complicated one.  Picture below for my Lyme friends. This is honestly the only thing where I think US is better.  Or maybe it's just what I'm use to.  US - 1. India - 50. Go India!!

The PICC took about 20 mins tops, maybe less. The dr told me what was happening step by step; same as the catheter procedure.

Back in the room via gurney, I was lifted safely 'by sheet' to my bed. Anesthesia wore off and discomfort set in, majorly.

AC went on the fritz, so I was moved to a nearby room to rest while Robbin cleared the counter so they could douse the A/C with good old fashion water.  A big mess ensued followed by cleaning staff.  I came back to the room.

I skipped the part somewhere where I cried because I couldn't bend my left arm due to painful PICC bandaging.  And I cry when I can get my point across and I can't get my point across when I'm crying.  A vicious cycle to be sure.  Poor Robbin, poor Ahba, poor sisters. 

Robbin patiently fed me dinner.  Later the bandages were removed and replaced so arm bending was optimal.  Phew! 

I asked for something to help me sleep.  Melatonin was given.

ZZZzzzz....

No comments:

Post a Comment