Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 11 - A Visit from Padma!


Today, Saturday, Robbin turned the corner and began to feel better. He went outside in the afternoon and worked on a broken guitar from my PT doctor, Varun.  He was the happiest I've seen him!  

Around 5:00pm we got a visit from my new friend Padma!  She is a friend of a friend of Lalitha who  we've know for 30 years from our Bankers Trust days!  When I first told Lalitha I was coming to New Dehli for treatment, she sent an email to her friend, Anu, who found 2 of her friends that live near Green Park, Padma & Sandhya. We've all been emailing since the end of April.  Padma came by taxi and saw Robbin outside with the guitar and knew it was him.  Security here is apparently tight so she could not come to our room (probably better as it is small with 1 chair).

I went to the lobby with Abha and my walker.  Padman gave me beautiful yellow flowers, orchids, I think.  So very sweet of her! We sat in the lobby and chatted. Padma has 2 children and she owns her own clothing export business.  She fills orders for some very big names, Ann Taylor, Tommy Hilfiger and more that I cannot recall.  She has 90 days to fill orders and her orders are like 50,000 units!  Her husband is a professor of political science.

The ice cream man came and Robbin & Abha ran out to get ice cream for all. For the first time in 3 years I had an ice cream cone! And boy it was yummy.  Abha peeled off the paper and there was a chocolate hard top with nuts over chocolate ice cream.  I held it with 2 hands and began my criminal act, knowing full well I was cheating big time, sugar AND gluten.  I proceeded to make a mess and Abha would continually wipe my mouth of melting ice cream. Care not, I forged on.  When I looked at Robbin & said "How embarrassing!", Padma was quick to say "No, you are with family." It was then I knew that when she travelled again to the US, she must come to stay with us in Susquehanna!

Padma also gave us 2 boxes of gluten free cereal, as we had some trouble finding it locally. Who do you ask for help? Answer: the busiest woman you know as she will get it all done! (True).

As it was time for our daily 'chit chat', we all went out and sat with the other patients and caregivers. Marion & Gee were leaving at 11pm for a 2:00am flight with several layovers back to their home in South Africa.  Gee tried out my walker and liked it. She will try to find one back home.

Padma needed to leave, so we said our goodbyes. She offered to drive us around the neighborhood whenever we wanted to go. So very nice!

As we continued to chat, the sky became a bit dark and suddenly the winds came blowing dust in our eyes. We all went quickly inside to the lobby and hung out there for awhile.

Back in the room, dinner was waiting. Chicken Biryani with raita, one of my all time favorites! Delicious. Abha cut my chicken off the bone and then went to warm my food in the microwave which is in the lobby.

A bit of TV followed, "Taking of Pelham, 1, 2, 3" with John Travolta and Denzel Washington.

Night time visit from the sisters for pm meds & supplements.

Happy Mother's Day to all!
xo

Robbin fixing guitar outside of NuTech.

Robbin having fun.

Padma with an angelic face and me with my flowers

Marion and Gee (spelling?)

No comments:

Post a Comment