Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 12 - description of a typical day.

Thought I'd describe our room and a typical day here.

Our room is about 14 x 12. I have a hospital bed and RC brought a gray air mattress from the US. My bed is against a wall that have 2 sconces facing up. His bed is perpendicular to mine, but at my feet.  Our sheets are flat, not fitted. 2 flat sheets and 2 pillows each.  We put the 2 bed spreads into our closet, no need.  To the right of his bed is a wardrobe type closet, 2 hanging doors with a full length mirror on each.  Suitcases and boxes are stored on top. When we need the closet, Robbin stands up his bed.

Next to my bed is a metal table with a phone, not sure of the number yet, but I found out today that calls can come thru the front reception, to our room. They wish to know who will call first so we don't bothered? Solicitors??   In a shelf below the phone, Robbin set up a router (bless him!).  No dependable wireless here. Where would I be without my iPad?

There is a movable table like you'd have in any hospital. We bought a small blue (round) plastic stool so I could put my feet up.  They were swollen, possibly from the flight.

There is a window at the head of my bed and a door next to that. We keep the 2 green & orange woven shades down to keep the hot sun from coming in.

There is an orange counter at the opposite corner with a wooden cabinet underneath with 2 doors & 2 shelves. We have supplements on the top shelf and kitchen supplies below (toaster, coffee pot- we use neither- plates, cups, bowls and things we brought from home.). Next to the cabinet is a small gray refrigerator.  We store paperwork and medical records on top. Above the counter is a glass shelf and on the wall above, a mirror with an orange border.  Above that is a 4ft long thin fluorescent bulb and above that a NuTech Mediworld clock.  And to the right a wall mounted air conditioner.  The ceiling holds a white, 3 blade fan. Both the AC & fan are always on except when we take out the room key from its holder under the TV.

The flowers from Padma are on the counter in the corner. My meds & supplements are underneath the glass shelf.   We have a plastic blue cup storing silverware, plasticware & straws for me. Also some stacked Dixie cups.  The bathroom door is to the right of the counter followed by 3 feet of wall with a mounted Samsung flat screen TV.  There is a glass shelf above for the cable box. To the right is our entry door (corner) which has a "Do Not Disturb" sign, white letters on orange. Turn the corner for a wall and a chair, which folds out for sleeping.  We use it for storage. Now we are back at the closet. They also supply a beige plastic chair which gets moved around depending on circumstance.  The wall of the counter, TV & doors is yellow with an orange sponging design. The other walls are beige with an orange border. Tomorrow Robbin will take pictures.

On a typical day, I wake at 8:30 with Ahba knocking at our door. I use the toilet and then Ahba helps me shower as I sit. Ahba helps me dress, does my hair and I brush my teeth with an electric toothbrush. It's now around 9:15. I begin to eat as 2 sisters come in to give me meds & supplements, take my bp & pulse.  Sometimes 3 sisters come. So much talking! Can you all imagine Robbin in his bathrobe? Ahba speaking Hindi to the sisters, the sisters speaking another language to each other & me trying hard to choke out a bit of English!

Breakfast is usually yogurt with an apple or sometimes prepared eggs. At 10:00am I have 30 mins of PT followed by 30 mins of OT, both in the basement. Afterwards, Ahba & I come back to the room. It's now shortly after 11:00.  One sister comes in to give me stem cells. On Mon & Thurs I go to a dr on the first floor for an injection in my neck & one in each cheek near my lips.  These injections do
not hurt, the needles are teeny tiny and are given quite gently; so pls don't worry. Back in my room,  I read emails and then rest. Lunch comes at about 1:00. At 1:30 I have 30 mins of PT and after a 15 min break, a 15 min speech session with my OT doctor.  Back to my room for emails and then more  rest. At some point more stem cells, bp & pulse, also a staff doctor visit and 2 cleaners who clean Mon-Sat.

First the floor is swept by a woman while a man cleans the bathroom. The woman sweeps with a short brush that looks like the top of a wheat stock. She empties our 2 garbage pails and cleans the rolling table, the counter and glass shelf. After that the man mops the floor with what looks like a towel on a stick. The whole cleaning takes only 10 mins.

At 3:00 nurses come to give me folic acid.  On Tues & Fridays I get my long vitamin IV. I usually listen to music and rest. At 5:30, we meet other patients and caregivers outside. Around 6:30 we go back to our room and dinner is shortly after. Around 7:30 Ahba leaves for her 2hr bus commute.  I begin to blog & we watch TV. I do more emails as Robbin plays solitaire on his PC.

At around 9:00 the sisters come for meds & supplements, bp and pulse. Afterwards another visit from the night dr.

Bedtime is usually between 10:00 - 10:30.

On Monday afternoons I meet with Dr. Shroff.  On Fridays she walks around physio.

I do believe that's it!

Happy Mother's Day to all.


2 comments:

  1. I really loved hearing about the room and your daily routine! I like picturing where you guys are -- looking forward to photos!

    ReplyDelete