Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Day 42 - More about the Sisters

As you know, the sisters are nurses.  All very friendly and quite competent. There are about 20+ sisters on 3 different shifts; they service 3 floors of patients.  They also staff two injection rooms on the ground floor.

Morning shift is 8am-2pm; turquoise/white is worn.  Day shift is 2pm-8pm; turquoise/white is worn.  Night shift is 8pm-8am; lilac/white is worn.

There is an office for them on the first floor, our floor.  "For staff only," a sign reads. Outside their office, there is a panel with small red bulbs that light up and stay on whenever a patient rings from the room.  Each room has a bulb.

With the exception of the sisters and brothers (male nurses) in the Operating Theatre, all the sisters come from various villages in Manipur which is east of Bangladesh and northwest of Burma.  It's about 4 hours away by air.  They all speak English, Hindi and a language from their home.  Click on link below:

http://www.distancesbetween.com/distance-between/distance-from-delhi-to-manipur/107919/r3/

They did not know each other until NuTech.  They have wonderful personalities that come out more and more as we get to know them.  It is obvious to me that they are happy in their profession.



sisters in their office
In the morning, the sisters usually come to the room in pairs.  Sometimes a third or fourth sister arrives either to assist or ask a question. One takes my blood pressure & pulse, another sorts my meds and supplements, while another provides me with stem cells in my arm or nasally.  They all stick up for me, in fun, if Robbin says anything.  We all laugh but he says often "We need more BROTHERS!" 

Picture Robbin in this small room, sometimes in his navy bathrobe with me, Abha and 2-4 sisters.  AND we're all talking, speaking 3 different languages!! He finds a small space and waits patiently for all to leave.

**********

Today, I had a epidural in my spine; no catheter.  A one shot deal; nice! Only one day with no shower.  Also stem cells for my gut.

Robbin worked on a real nice electric guitar today.  He fixed a slightly warped neck and taped the wood on the fretboard to expose only the frets.  Then he ground the frets with a wet stone to make them all the same height, peaked them with a fret file to make the strings bend over the center of the fret, then sanded up to 2000 grit to give them a nice polished look.  See pictures.

Taped fretboard to protect wood.

Robbin outside NuTech working on the guitar; happy husband!

TV movie - "I am Legand."  Will Smith picks good movies OR are the movies good because he stars in them??? Ponder that.

xo


3 comments:

  1. I am with Robbin. Need more brothers. Deb is getting way too much support. She will be insufferable when this is all over. Spoiled rotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's an example of how it really is. Today I asked Abha a question. She said "Yes, yes, I know, I know." I was looking for a noun in the answer. Blue or 10 would have been the kind of response I wanted, I can't remember the question. So I said: "All the women around me know everything." Both Deb and Abha looked at me like: He is finally getting it.

    ReplyDelete