Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day 33 - Spa!

Wow, do I feel refreshed!  Spent 2 hrs at a day spa called "Asian Roots."

There was soothing music playing in a well decorated front office with 6 vases of small red flowers, 3 to a shelf, behind the counter under some dim lights.  Three friendly woman smiled, one took charge. Robbin told her my name and handed her directions that I had typed up for my treatments.

First, I got my eyebrows done by threading.  The woman holds thread and cris crosses it, so it acts like a scissor.  Also had my unfortunate mustache & a few chin hairs threaded - that's from my Italian side!

This was followed by a pedicure deluxe, where my feet were soaked, scrubbed & exfoliated. Since I takes showers in India, having my feet soaked was a real treat!  This was done by a jovial man named Dinesh. He rid me of my callouses and massaged my feel & legs; very relaxing. He cut my toenails and cuticles and then applied 1 coat of light pink polish.  Lightest of their pinks, but darker from what I would normally wear.

At some point during my pedicure, a woman set up shop and began my manicure.  I'm sure this was a challenge with my left hand claw.  But she cut, filed and then I soaked my fingers in 2 large bowls of warm water.  After my cuticles were trimmed, she followed with a 'finish' file to make them just right.

Next came my haircut.  Thus far, everything had been done in the wheelchair.  Robbin was nearby now so he got me up and into a fancy chair for hair washing.  The large white sink was adjusted to my neck height and then the feet of the black leather chair scooped up my lower legs via a remote control.  The wash included an extraordinary head massage.  Lucky me!

A stylist came in and I went to his black leather chair.  He brought in a black leather & chrome stool for my feet. I had my back to the mirror confident that the instructions I had typed up would be followed.  He began cutting and tapered the back as he didn't like it blunt. He said it would take time to look right.  

He took his time as my snow white hair fell onto the black wrap I wore.  He fussed with the bangs I wanted and chopped my top with thinning scissors to give it some shape.  He used a blow dryer to remove hair from my head, wrap & face.  As a final touch he massaged some cream or gel into my hair as he styled it with his fingers.  No spray.

All in all, a 2 hour experience for 2000 rupees ($35)!!  Plus a tip.  (Lisa, I'll email you the address for your December trip.)

Our 4 hour taxi was waiting to bring us to the DLF Promenade Mall about 15 - 20 minutes away.  We went inside where security waves a wand to search for guns on each person who enters.  It is accepted as the norm.

We specifically came for a store called "Food Hall."  We couldn't find it a few weeks ago.  We bought 2 goat cheeses and feta cheese made from sheep for me; a smoked pepper cheese for Robbin.  Salted almonds and some pistachios too.  We found gluten-free chocolate biscotti & shortbread as well as 2 bars of Cadbury chocolate for Robbin's sweet tooth.  Oh and some hot sauce.

To give you some idea of prices: cheeses ranged from 360 to 610 rupees ($6.40 - $10.89). Shortbread 240 rupees ($4.30).  Biscotti 550 rupees ($9.82).  Grand total - 3346.60 ($59.76) for some yummy snacks!!

Driving back to NuTech we passed donkeys on the street.  Sorry, forgot the camera. 

Dinner was lamb biryani, it was pretty good.

Movie was Paycheck with Uma Thurman & Ben Affleck - also good.  

Esther and another sister came in for night time meds.  Robbin gave headphones to Esther and she put them on wrong, so he fixed them on her head as she said funnily, "I'm from a village!"  We were laughing.

Ryan, if we were going to arrange your marriage, as they do here in India,  Esther would surely be on the list.

xo

1 comment:

  1. I finally found the comments box, with Deb's help. It just did not look like what I was expecting. Got nothing to say, as I said it all in the email the other day. But now I know how this works.

    Giff

    ReplyDelete