Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day 40 - "Hey Deb, How did you discover NuTech MediWord?"

Funny you should ask!  

I wish I could say I was so smart, but I learned about NuTech from a wonderful, well written book by Amy B. Scher.  Five stars.  The book is entitled "This Is How I Save My Life: A True Story of Embryonic Stem Cells, Indian Adventures, and Ultimate Self-Healing."



Wait, let me back up. 

Our friend and former boss, Giff, who lives in Pebble Beach, California (oo, la, la) called one day in 2011 or 2012 to say that he read about a girl living in the Monterey area who had gone to India and was cured of her Lyme.  I was obviously very close-minded then and poo-pooed the idea. I thought the US was far superior, in my ignorance.  Fast forward to December 2012, I received an email from somewhere (I would now say a higher power), displaying an interesting cover and a brief video of Amy in Physio.

I clicked on a link and waited for my prize to arrive in the mail.  I had read many books on Lyme, but not in a long while.  Once I began "This Is How I Save My Life" I could not put it down!  I read in the car.  I read during my hyperbaric oxygen sessions.  I was swept into another world; deeply in.

Soon enough, I was done.  I was sad as I wanted more, but then I began to ponder the possibility of going to India.  Where was it exactly; I was never very good at geography.  We have many Indian friends and they all travel there.  We both love Indian food.  I even initiated Ryan to the food during my pregnancy.

I had been treated by many excellent doctors, both traditional and alternative. I was given no hope by others.  I had some improvements along the way, but now I was only declining.

What really did I have to loose?  Money and time.  But the hope of being well again or even to no longer decline was enticing, to say the least.  

One late evening, sitting on our green sofa, I had an overwhelming feeling that this was the right path for me to take.  My head shook up & down as if I were acknowledging this powerful feeling to myself.  I began to cry.

Now to tell Robbin and ask for his support.  I asked and explained the process  to be accepted as a patient at NuTech.  He pondered but then said something like "whatever you want."  He too knew I was declining.

The first step was to gather up all my medical records, write a symptom and treatment chronology, list all current meds & supplements and send this to Dr. Geeta Shroff at her hotmail account.  After about 2 weeks, I had documents created and scanned by my caregivers; no small feat!  Robbin suggested  Dropbox and this worked out great.  Once it was sent, I was asked for a short video of me so they could see my condition.

Robbin taped me approaching him with my walker. Once there, I said a few words explaining my issues, showed my 'hand claw' and turned to exit.  Once far away, I wiggled my butt.  Classic Deb style!

Then we waited for a response.  A criteria for admission was incurability. Hard to admit; no one had told me that (except maybe neurologists, now that I think about it).

Geeta has an independent group determine eligibility.  When she wrote back she requested we call her. We set up a time and Robbin used Google Voice to ring her & us at the same time.  Smart guy.

She was very direct on the phone saying "there are no guarantees."  She also said to come for 3 months and in that time if they could stop the progression, there would be more trips for treatment.  I was game; now to tell Ryan, family & friends.

Ryan, PhD student, (publish or perish) diligently checked the Internet as I had done previously.  He found as I did, much criticism. Geeta had patented her technology instead of publishing it. She had no publications with her name on it except for IVF, her first love.  Critics who had never been to her clinic said if she could really heal spinal chords they would know about it.  Others said iwas a big rip off, giving false hope to desperate people.  (Geeta did not publish her technology to keep it safe & pure.  She knew it worked after 10 years of treating patients and didn't want others trying to copy it and then say it didn't work.)

Ryan forwarded his concerns to me.  I reviewed his links & saw some new ones.  Still, there was Amy's book.  

Then I told Mary Beth, sister of my heart. She was first very excited for me, but then spent one night scouring the Internet and blogs of nay-sayers.  She was scared for me.  Still, there was Amy's book.  

It crossed my mind briefly, that her book could be a scam; very briefly.  I emailed Amy and she seemed honest & sincere.  She was the very first Lyme patient to go to NuTech, at the young age of 27.  Courageous and smart.  Both her parents accompanied her.

I appreciated all the concern, but I still wanted to try this.  Money and time.

Next steps were passports, medical visas, airline tickets, finding a home for Princess and emptying the Glen Ridge house.  Robbin had so much to do and I couldn't help.  He made countless trips to NJ.  One Saturday, our Roche friends came for the day to help him sort, toss, box and load. Other neighborhood friends packed too. They are all dear to my heart. There was tons of stuff as we lived there for 27 years. We hadn't even gotten rid of Ryan's toys yet and he's 24!  ... The rest you know.

Thank you Amy for writing your book and for your support!!!!

Here is a recent picture of Princess who is vacationing at Sue Marino's home.  Sue is my BFF at work. Princess has never been treated so well!!  She has spa days too, just like her princess mother!  All the Marino's are pitching in as their lives are quite busy. xo



Nikki Marino and Princess after a luxurious bath!








1 comment:

  1. Hi Deb! I think I may finally be able to comment. I love this story. I really think this is going to work for you. It sounds like you are making progress. Sending my love. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete