Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 34 - 23andme

Monday evening, instead of blogging, we had a Skype conference with a woman named Sterling Hill who works for MTHRFsupport.com.  She is well versed in epigenetics.  She explained my results to me.

Let me back up.  About 2+ months ago, I was asked by Shawn Bean to send away for a "23andme" kit to submit saliva for genetic testing. It took about 6 weeks to receive an email saying that my results were in.  They have a neat website at, you guessed it, 23andme.com!

Each gene result is color coded: green-no problem; yellow-partial gene defect; red-total gene defect.  

The good news is that new research shows that even though defects exist, both tailored eating & supplementation can correct issues.  Wahoo!!

Sterling reviewed each partial & total gene defect with me.  A long list!  I could follow along, but was only able to take scant notes as the PC had Skype and my iPad had the report. So notes were in between breaths on my iPad.

So --- I have trouble creating glutathione with one defect and trouble processing what I do create with another.  I have trouble with ATP, which is for energy. But I've had super energy my whole life until becoming ill with Lyme.  I think this means that those genes were not expressing until I became ill. Maybe, as the lingo is new to me.  Out of 7 different ATP genes, 4 of mine have partial defects.  

I have issues with B-12 and I need it.  Also, issues with folate and choline.

I need Vitamin D3 support and this is after I've been taking it for a few months.  Sterling suggested I look at my ammonia levelsvfrom another test I did. It's on my 'to do.'

Now, Shawn Bean needs to review my results, make recommendations and then Skype with Geeta.  (Notice, Skype is now a verb like Google!)

I wait, NOT so patiently.  Those who know me well, know that patience is not my strong point.

23andme offers more than gene defect reports. Almost all genes listed have a link to peer reviewed documents.  They provide hereditary conditions, health risks, drug response, health tools and ancestry composition.  I elected to share my gene info and was contacted the next day by a fourth cousin near Russia!  We exchanged some info.  Pretty cool.

Ryan, you are next.  I may have given you some crappy genes and you should know about them at your age, healthy, so you can eat & supplement for your defects.  I'll pay, it's only $99!  Just blog "Yes, Mom."  :-)

I now know why my father was an alcoholic.  An incorrect balance between GABA & Glutamate due to certain gene mutations (if I remember correctly).  This can be a HUGE CLUE for some with alcoholic family members!

Sterling was quite I'll with Lyme & maybe more things 6 years ago- spent major time in hospitals.  Now healthy, helping others.  She lives in Oklahoma.

I hope you found this informative!

No comments:

Post a Comment