Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 1 - It's a Race!

Early Sunday morning our alarm failed to wake us at 4:30 am.  We were due in the lobby at 5:15 for our taxi to the airport.  At 5:30 Melody, a sister, knocked on our door announcing our car is waiting.  I was already awake but couldn't see the clock or I would have awoken Robbin.  So in the words of Mr. Bean in Rat Race, "It's a Race!"

Robbin had all of it on his shoulders, as always.  We left the room in disarray (no time).  Melody assisted me with my sweater and a few last minute packing items.  At 6:00, we were in the taxi off to the airport.

Traffic was good so we got there relatively easy.  Phew!

Upon arrival, we were approached by a porter who asked for 300 rupees (less than $6) to wheel me around and get us thru security, customs, etc. to our gate. A bargain as we had e-tickets and no printed copy!  There was security to even get into the airport doors; men with guns greeted us.

Once in, our porter did all we needed.  There were no lines at Lufthansa, passport control and minimal lines at security.  Once done we had about an hour before boarding.  We grabbed Dosas that were pretty poor. After that, Robbin bought 2 Cuban cigars.

The plane was virtually empty. Many passengers used 3 seats to lay down. We were in economy & seats were pretty awful. Roche indeed spoiled me with business class seats!  

Food was not good (when is it?) but luckily Robbin packed my goat & sheep cheese in a cooler with ice packs.  He read his ebook and I watched 2 movies; a new Die Hard & Identity Theft.  Both were good.  The ride was less than 8 hrs; I'd originally thought 10. 

Once landed, we hailed a taxi.  Driver didn't know the place so he took out 2 maps. We almost went with another driver, but then he said he knew. Did he? We drove for quite some time (1 hr?) passing no signs for our town; another 20-30 mins.  We asked him to stop in a town to ask; he did and assured us we were nearby. A bit more and a sign "Bad Groenenbach!"

We then had some trouble finding the street but we made it. 

Privatklinik & Gesundheitshotel (like in bless you after a sneeze) is really nice.  Extremely clean, well maintained, friendly staff and great food!  For dinner we had veal and rosti (potatoes we like).  Dr. Bieber stopped by after dinner (remember, this is Sunday evening).  She is so nice!  She explained the IV PC therapy & said I would have my test dose tomorrow morning at the hotel in a clinic room on the 1st floor at 9:00. Then Tuesday morning I would be driven to her clinic which is 5 mins away.

There I would have 'fasting' blood taken and some run here and some shipped to a lab at Johns Hopkins.  A breakfast will be packed for me.

Dr. Bieber's brother-in-law runs the health hotel we are staying at.  He is a doctor too, as is her husband.  Very nice hotel; room accommodations are larger than most in Europe. I'm in a handicapped room with bars for the sink, toilet & shower. Robbin has an adjoining room with a tiny shower; he'll use mine.

Happy here!

Thought for Today

“Suffering is part of our training program for becoming wise.” 
          ― Ram Dass

1 comment:

  1. You have been in my thoughts. I am so glad you made it with little trouble! XO Beckie

    ReplyDelete