Wednesday, August 7, 2013

To the time keepers

I listen to the radio all the time.  I also like news and the spoken word.  I have an internet radio I travel with.  I used listen to and travel with a short wave (I have 4 of them), but I can't pick up stations any more.  Religious groups buy up popular frequencies (those that broadcast well) and they basically rant and rave.  And countries that broadcast in English are closing down there national shortwave stations.  I used to listen to Swiss Radio International, Deutsche Wella and Radio Japan, but they don't broadcast. So I switched to the internet where I can find most of the stations I used to listen to.

My internet radio has a clock in the display and it gets time from the internet so it is usually spot on.  Today it was an hour ahead.  Here's where it gets good.

I'm the timekeeper in the family.  My internal clock starts dinging when we're almost late.  I get antsy and pushy.  I don't like to be late.  Deb isn't too worried about being late for stuff.  She's going as fast as she can and won't wake up early to be someplace where they aren't too worried about being on time.  As opposed to me where I would like to be 5 or 10 minutes early where ever I go.  I suspect 2 opposites will tend to create tension and two of the same will ether be perpetually early or late with no tension.

To the early birds, set your clock an hour ahead and don't tell the other.  Today I looked at the internet radio clock and it was 8:22.  She had to be at Dr Bieber's at 9.  We were dressed and down to the restaurant in less than 20 minutes and that is with hair combed and teeth brushed.  Deb was going to just have yogurt when she looked at the clock on the church out our window and saw it was 7:50.  She didn't get mad at me, but had time for French toast and bacon. 

So what could have been a tense and rushed time for me, even though I don't even go there anymore, was a leisurely breakfast.  I highly recommend the "setting your clock ahead an hour" ploy, if you are the early bird in an opposites pair.  Sadly, I'll probably only get the one chance at the ploy and may be asked to check my clock for the rest of my life.  It was a nice surprise that we weren't late and didn't have to rush.

As long as I'm with Deb and have my internet radio, I'm at home.  These last months have gone by pretty fast and if either of them (more importantly Deb, of course) were missing, I would have felt like I was away and very much wanted to return home.  After a while, even here in Germany after only 10 days, it feels like home and we get into a routine.  India was the same way, except with the sisters and Abha, it is like being part of a family of 20 and I'm the only male.  I guess this is how a priest feels at a convent.

No comments:

Post a Comment