Saturday, January 21, 2017

Who asked?

Deb and I got engaged around Christmas time in 1984.  Nobody told me I needed to have a conversation with her father, a rather intimidating man.  Still wet behind the ears, me, not him.

But to get there, we needed to actually GET engaged.

We were having fun living the good life.  We owned a co-op in Forest Hills, we had good jobs, we went to the beach on Saturdays in the summer and had (all day) Sunday dinner with her parents and brother, week after week after week after week.  Camping after Labor Day and a trip to the Bahamas in February.   We even snuck in a trip to Europe unbeknownst to all our coworkers.

I was, believe me, trying to get up the nerve to propose.  One day, she says, "What are we doing here?  Want to get married or no?"  I said sure.  It was probably not that cut and dried, but it was similarly direct.

Sometime later we were at dinner with her neighborhood friends and one asked me how I proposed. I said she asked me and I said yes.

Oh boy, I got such a dirty look from Deb.  It took her a good 10 years before she was able to tell that story and really own it.  I'm glad she asked me.  We could still be in Forest Hills waiting for me to pop the question.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting your life experiences with my friend Deb. Every time I read one of your stories I think to myself yeah that's my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the Blog Robbin, keep up the good work! I loved the fact that you spooned! Made me smile, such a loving warm and cozy thing to do. Everyone is now at home who matters, my thoughts are with you all and I wish Debs a speedy and painless passage and for you and Ryan a speedy and painless recovery. If only you could get what you wished for eh? much love, Karen

    ReplyDelete