Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Baby Shower

I was in on the preparations for Deb's baby shower.  Kathy was her commuting buddy.  20 minutes to Hoboken on the NJ Transit train and another 20 or so on the Path train.  5 days a week, 40 or 50 weeks a year for around 5 years.  She had a special bond with Kathy.  So Kathy, who lived in a house built for parties, hosted and did all the heavy lifting.

Back the clock up to Deb's first month of pregnancy.  We (yes, that was the Royal We) decided to move our office to the attic to accommodate the crib, etc.  So every weekend was spent preparing the attic.

The day of the shower, I told her I was tired and wanted a day off.  A DAY OFF???  We don't have time on the schedule for that, get going, blah, blah, blah.  There is no time for dawdling.  It was dirty up there so we generally skipped a morning shower, put on dirty clothes and cleaned up in the evening.

Deb is in sweats.  Ladies, I learned that going out with out proper support high and low is not something that is done lightly, except with your closest friends.  Baggy sweats let certain parts giggle below the belt and a wearing ONLY a loose sweatshirt only accentuates (for me) a certain other pair of assets.

Knowing she had her shower to attend meant I needed her to be showered, dressed for going out, quaffed maybe even some lipstick.  She was having none of that.  Attic, attic, attic.

When the call came in, I gave her the phone, Kathy asked her to stop by.  Deb climbed down the stairs and ran 2 doors down to find out what Kathy wanted.  2 minutes later she was back, to make herself presentable.  I didn't have to mention that she should have listened to me.

Deb loved a party.  To walk in the charwoman, see all her friends and then make a quick exit I don't think bothered her - in fact being the butt of a good natured joke, like being totally surprised was part of her good nature.  I believe she was then very excited to get ready and get over there as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment